Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Another One Bites the Dust

One day you turn around and it's summer
Next day you turn around and it's fall
And the springs and the winters of a lifetime
Whatever happened to them all?

-- from “September of My Years” by Frank Sinatra


*****************************************

There’s this blue sundress I’ve had for over ten years now. I think I was around 24 when I bought it. I’d say it’s the oldest article of clothing I own, were it not for the fact that there’s probably a ratty pair of underpants in the back of a drawer somewhere that’s been waiting around for twenty years just to prove me wrong. Ratty underpants have nothing better to do, after all, and if there’s one lesson I’ve learned over the past 36 years, it’s that one should never allow underpants to gain the upper hand in life.

So anyway, at the risk of sounding all girly and crap, I really dig this sundress. But as I turn another year older today, I can’t help but suspect that sometime during the upcoming year (or maybe the next), I’ll put on this dress and discover to my horror that it makes me look like this . . .



Guess I’ll have to keep you posted.

*****************************************

The man in the looking glass, who can he be?
The man in the looking glass, can he possibly be me?
Where's our young Romeo, the lad who used to sigh?
Who's the middle-aged lothario with a twinkle in his eye?
He seems so much wiser now, less lonely but then
Could be he's only pretending again
Man in the looking glass, smiling away, how's your sacroiliac today?

--from “The Man in the Looking Glass” by Frank Sinatra

5 comments:

cheated are the clouds said...

Please do your best to keep the underpants locked away for good, Ahhhh Hmmm nice dress your make up looks a bit off though, and the bags under your eyes, must be the extra make up, Happy Birthday to you

Tom Meltzer said...

Interesting picture. Time has not been kind to Courtney Love, apparently. You will always look like a hot 24 year old in a sundress to me, even when you get all 'hagged out Bette Davis-like' and sh!t. True dat. Word.

xox
hubby

Jeff Hart said...

courtney love, of course! i was about to ask what katherine harris was doing in a baby doll sun dress.

Anonymous said...

The dress is not so much the problem as the big bow...

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Put down the Sinatra and slowly back away!

Robin